We pride ourselves on building long-term relationships with our clients, which we regard as working partnerships. We take the time to understand our clients' business goals, operations, programs, and portfolio interests. MBT knows the importance of effective communication and being responsive to our clients' needs. We bring creativity and resourcefulness -- as well as expertise -- to bear upon the opportunities and challenges confronting our insurer clients. We strive to make the jobs of our clients easier as well as to produce outstanding outcomes on a cost-effective basis. MBT understands the importance of providing high-caliber professional advice and first-rate representation by seasoned litigators. MBT often is retained to provide coverage advice and to solve problems before they manifest in order to avoid coverage litigation if possible. The ability to effectively litigate and try a case, however, often is instrumental to achieving the best non-litigated result.
Click here for MBT's reported insurance coverage cases.
Select a State to view
Client Cases with Decisions
MBT lawyers have handled
Coverage Matters in all 50 states
Our lawyers are thoroughly committed to their practices and recognize that providing quality representation and leading expertise requires going "above and beyond". Accordingly, MBT lawyers hold leadership positions and frequently participate in various professional organizations, including the American Bar Association (Sections on Litigation and Tort Trial & Insurance Practice), Defense Research Institute, International Association of Defense Counsel, and ARIAS US, just to name a few. Our lawyers frequently speak at, chair, and develop seminars, conferences, and training sessions on insurance, reinsurance, and litigation practice issues. MBT lawyers have authored leading books, chapters, and articles on insurance and reinsurance issues and have taught insurance law to law students.
Click here for MBT's insurance coverage publications.
MBT's insurance law practice received the highest possible national and Chicago regional "first tier" rankings in the inaugural U.S. News-Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" survey.
Our coverage expertise extends to a full spectrum of commercial and personal lines policies, reinsurance contracts, and other structures for managing risks, including:
- General liability (primary, umbrella, and excess) and surplus lines policies
- Professional liability policies of various types and encompassing various professionals (including directors' and officers', architects and engineers, agents and brokers, health care institutions and health care professionals, managed care organizations, attorneys, accountants, and various fiduciaries)
- Governmental and municipality policies
- Environmental impairment and other environmental policies
- First party property policies (including all risk, difference in conditions, boiler and machinery, business interruption, and combination policies)
- Workers' compensation and employers' liability policies
- Employment practices, employee benefits, and ERISA policies
- Life, health, and disability policies
- Automobile, commercial vehicle, aircraft, and equipment policies
- Specialty policies and coverage specific to particular industries, occupations, and risks (such as builders' risk, wrap-up, and trade organizations)
- Reinsurance treaties and facultative certificates
- Self-insurance, fronting arrangements, captive policies, and risk retention groups
- Trusts and pooling arrangements
Insurance Coverage Litigation: MBT represents insurers in claims evaluation, settlement negotiation, trial, and appeal of a wide-range of coverage disputes nationally and internationally. MBT lawyers are involved in cutting edge issues and leading cases and pride themselves on contributing to the development of insurance coverage law. More...
Bad Faith/Extra-Contractual Liability Claims: MBT evaluates bad faith and other extra-contractual liability claims asserted against insurers and represents insurers in trials and appeals of bad faith actions. More...
Representation Of Insurers In Non-Coverage Litigation: MBT represents insurers in non-coverage actions, including cases and class actions in which claims, underwriting, financial, and business practices of insurers are at issue and in bankruptcy-related matters. More...
Counseling And Other Services Provided To Insurers: MBT provides other services to insurers, including creating specialized programs and policies, evaluating and drafting policy language, providing general claims handling assistance and guidance, and monitoring, tracking, and managing litigation. More...
Representing Brokers: MBT represents insurance and reinsurance wholesale and retail brokers in professional liability matters.